2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dear Mom and Dad...

Hola from Honduras! Today was another day of tough work, but instead of hauling rock and sand today we dug ditches. We were in small groups, and everyone was either wielding a pick axe or a shovel. The ditches had to be 18 inches deep and about the width of a shovel… this was easier said than done. After several hours of work in the hot sun we had dug a couple hundred of yards of new ditch. It was great to see how much work we accomplished by working together with the Hondurans. Once we had completed our morning session of work we headed into the little village for mass. Wow. It was a unique and beautiful experience of the universal Catholic Church. The town does not have a priest, so they generally only get a priest to the town once or twice a year for mass. The people were so happy to share in this bilingual mass, and a young Honduran man led us in wonderful guitar playing and music. We were also joined by many of the school children who clapped to the songs and sat on many of our students laps. It was truly an experience of God.


Here are some notes from our students:
Ethan- Thank you dad for making me bring so much stuff I have used it all and so has everyone else. Love you mom!
Elizabeth- I like the hard work and talking to the kids with the little bit of Spanish that I know. I love you mother!
Andy- I love you mom and dad and everyone else who might happen to read this! I’m really surprised at how much Spanish I remember. I’m really tired so I won’t write anymore.

Johnny- Dear Mom, Dad, and Marianne – I love you very much and I’m having a better time than what the pictures show. Work is hard but refreshing. Yes, I am welcome, dad. I’m trying to speak the best I can, but I’m just asking how they are several times. I wish you could have experienced this, thanks for the prayers!
Lauran- Hey Feist family! Thank you so much for the prayers. The trip has been great, and I feel fine. I can’t wait to tell you all about the people I’ve met, and as I’m sure you want to know the food is great. I miss you and I love you, see you in the Eucharist.
Katy- Love you family! I’m showing dad up in the work department, he’s been making me compensate for missing track though. Love you! P.S.- PJ we haven’t gotten you a machete yet.
Tyler and Derek- We are Junta budding having a great time and learning Spanish. Livin’ the dream!
Lauryn- Hey family, love you tons! We are having the time of our lives and working hard. Meeting the locals and having mass with them was amazing. Love you all tons! Brooker Happy Birthday!

Michelle- The heat has not been as bad as I expected, but I really wish I knew more Spanish! It is a very humbling experience and I am amazed by the work ethic and generosity of the Hondurans. Love you all so much!
Liam- Love the family. Anything new in Rapid? Caitlin and Dad can tell you anything you want to know about the trip so far  Miss you may the force be with you Declan. Oh and tell Brendan to check the blog.
Caitlin- This has been truly life changing so far. It is difficult to put into words. The people, the scenery, and the culture are so beautiful. You are all in our prayers- keep us in yours! P.S.- the food is delicious, but Mom I still miss your lattes and homemade pizza!
Sarah- Miss you all, but I’m having the time of my life. It’s been beautiful here, the towns and greenery are stunning, as well as the people. The food is great, and everything seems better when you work hard. Can’t wait to see you. Love you!
Connor- I am having a great time in Honduras. I am so glad I came. Profa will be happy to hear that I am using my Spanish. I’m doing great and I will see you guys when I get back.

Mary- Miss you all and message for Kevin: quit complaining about the cracked cook top, you should see what they have to cook on here.


KFal- Hello everyone! I miss you seventh graders, make sure you behave while I’m gone! Family- I love and miss you and can’t wait to see you soon. Second graders, Fr. Jim, and all of RCCSS- thanks for the love and prayers!


Thank you all so much for you continued support and prayers.  Can't wait to fill you in on our adventures tomorrow!

27 comments:

  1. Lauryn,
    Thank you so much for the birthday balloons and the hockey tickets. I miss you and love you! Brooker

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.W.,
    We miss you tons! We hope that you are enjoying your time there. Take care of all those little kids and give them lots of hugs from us! Can't wait for you to come home! M&D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah - it's your mama - We love and miss you! What an amazing opportunity you all are having - we are all jealous!! Sarah your smiles in the pics are contagious! Hope to see more! All of you should feel so very proud of what you are doing - God bless and you all are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to hear that you are having such a positive experience. I believe this will be a life changing for most of you. You are in my prayers for a healthy, successful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauryn,
    Vernie asked where Yaryn was at dinner tonight! He misses you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Johnny! Dad just picked up some shovels but they are 2 feet across so the trenches you will have to dig here will be a lot bigger!! But it will be easy because you know how...haha, sounds like you are having a great time and know of our love and prayers for you.
    God bless,
    Marianne......and mom and dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Rapid City group! I was on the trip last week with the Springfield Catholic Group. I am enjoying following your blog! Hope you are all enjoying your experience! I know we did! Also, we left the girls in your group a note under one of the bunk beds if you haven't found it already! God Bless!
    Megan Haller

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olo to all of my lovely students! It is good to see your smiling faces and read your words. I can hear your voices in my mind and can hardly wait to hear how God uses this experience to demonstrate His love to you and through you.
    Much love and many prayers,
    Mrs. Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so glad to hear from all of your personal messages. It sounds like we all should have gone, too! I am glad to read all of the wonderful descriptions. I hope you are all keeping a journal, it will mean so much. Connor I am having fun driving your car since Dad took mine. It still has the Guys and Dolls message on the back window. We are thinking of you and praying for all of you to stay happy and safe. Mom and Dad Trinter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauran - This is Ben. I miss you. I can't wait for you to come home. Tomorrow is our first soccer game. Mom sent your blog site to school today and our class talked about your mission trip. Wilson misses you too.

    Hi. I got 4th all around at State. I like having my sink to myself this week, but I miss you. Love you lots, Maddie

    All the Feists are praying for you and your work. It is fun to see how you are doing and so glad the food is GREAT! We love you, Mom and Dad

    Waz up girlfriend, this is Bigcat and I wanted to tell you that you are my favorite older sister and that I am praying for you. From Broski.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to hear things are going so well! Springfield Catholic left your girls a note in the dorm. I hope they found it! We were jealous of your rock carrying, but now we see that you are getting to experience the deep trenches! Watch out for blisters! God Bless!
    Merica Clinkenbeard/SCHS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andy - we love you too! And our house is QUIET!! Dad is glad to hear you are working so hard that you are too tired to type. We miss you and can't wait to hear all about your time there.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Lauryn!! Hope your days are going well! We are so very anxious to hear of your adventure! Keep up the hard work and we love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for your continued strength as you work in that heat....Barb, all is quiet on the western front! I know with your work ethic you are keeping up with those students! May His peace, love and strength be with each of you as you do His work. Have a great day. Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello everyone! I'm so proud of all of you, and my prayers are with you every day. This is such an amazing thing you are doing. May God bless you abundantly, and may you feel His love and consolation as you pour out yourselves for those in need. Lots of love and prayers, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  16. We hope you are safe. Watch out for the creepy crawlies! We can tell you are having a great time.Mrs. Trinter's class sends their prayers.
    Mrs. Trinter's class

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing group! You are in my thoughts and prayers all day; we can't wait to see more pictures, and hear all about the trip. As for the dirty shirts, TYLER please burn the socks as well! Love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!! Following this blog is fantastic. You are all in our prayers, as we try to experience this trip with you, through messages and photos. Keep up the great work! Michelle, we miss you, we haven't been late to school one day this week, and I can almost see the floor in your bedroom now. Can't wait for you to get home!! Lots of love from the whole extended family, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello All! We enjoy reading your daily blogs. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.
    Tyler, the Rush won in a sweep Tuesday night. Next game is at home on Friday, April 15th. We play Ft. Wayne.
    You will be surprised to hear that we are NOT eating cereal every night.
    Thought about turkey hunting/camping this weekend but it is suppose to snow/rain. Izzy Lou was a superstar again last night.
    We love and miss you.
    Dad & Christi

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's great to hear you are all having a great time. We miss all of you and it is really quiet with you gone. Tell Mrs. Honeycutt we have things under control and everything is running smoothy. Kfal-Your track kids are a joy to work with! Ask Derek if he found his prom date yet. Either that or Mrs. Bies will be your date!
    Love,
    Tracy and Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Andy! It's Hannah. We miss you so much!!!!
    But it sounds like you are having fun and working hard! I miss your singing though, its way too quiet!! I walked into your room and Mom must have cleaned it because I could see the floor!! It's crazy! When you get back I bet your muscles will be so big!! I miss you lots the house doesn't seem the same without you!! Have fun and we will be praying for you!!
    Love from Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love and miss you all, and think what you are doing is amazing. Mary, I miss our starbucks dates. Sorry seniors, but the computer crashed and I lost all your grades. I am really hoping that you sent them to the colleges all ready, if not you will be hanging out with me for another year. JK! JK! But a big congrats goes to Theresa Kinyon, the recipient of the Catholic University Scholarship! Praying for you! Love and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey everyone,it was great to hear from you yesterday. You can't believe how exciting it is each time a new message is posted...we are missing you but there is a peace in knowing how God is at work in this journey you are on.Big day...Mairin is now 8!We did some celebrating this morning and are going to her Godparents(the Hofers) for dinner and more partying tonight. Dan,I hope all is well...almost married 24 years and I don't think I have ever gone this long without hearing your voice....you might be enjoying the flip side of that. Love you loads and may God's grace and Blessings continue to guide and watch over you. Karrie and crew.
    P.S Caitlin...pizzas and lattes will be ready!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a lot of hard work, but I'm sure the people are very glad you are there. I'm really proud of all of you for your faith and generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jonathon & all,

    That was a great think you did for Mairin. We were fortunante to have in our home along with a couple of her friends and family. Of the eight candles on her ice cream cake, she only blew out 4 - we'll keep praying for her!! We had her leading the skipping around the routine for a couple renditions of us singing. We had a great evening.
    We are conintuing to pray for each of you by name that along with the water you are helping to provide to quench their physical thirst, that you are blessing them with your acts of kindness and the promise of God's love.
    Jonathon (:-), we miss and love you.
    mom, dad & marianne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Greetings to all of you. I am glad that you have chance to speak Spanish and know the real people of Honduras. For those that don't speak the language, you can try it is not very hard. Do not be afraid to use the little language skills you have. You are doing a good work for everyone there.
    My love to you all.
    "Profa"

    ReplyDelete
  27. Note. Do not pay attention to my spelling errors. I noticed them after I sent my post.
    "Profa"

    ReplyDelete