2018 Team

2018 Team
2018 Team in the original church built for Suyapa

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Bienvenidos a Vallecillo!

Our morning started much earlier than most of us generally arise – 5:30! I didn’t hear a single groan when I did my wake-up call. Since we still had no electricity, breakfast had to be adjusted. Thank goodness for gas stoves. There were scrambled eggs, bananas, fresh squeezed orange juice, and bread.

Shortly after breakfast we gathered in the central courtyard for a prayer – joining hands as we prayed for many of you back home. Then it was on the bus for the hour-long ride to the village.

Many young children run to the road when they see our bus coming. They love shouting to the American youth and waving to them as we drive past. Carlos, our excellent bus driver, is ready to stop at a moment’s notice for anyone who wants to take photos.

Just as it has for the previous two mission groups, from Springfield Catholic in Missouri and St. Thomas More in Rapid City, SD, the villagers gathered together on the soccer field to welcome us to Vallecillo. Angel Paz, the engineer of the water project, spoke. The president of the village and a few other villagers spoke, we had a prayer together, and I briefly thanked them. Then, we went to work.

Our first project was to carry two plastic 2” water pipes approximately 1 – 2 miles (when walking up and down mountains, the distance is irrelevant) to where they were needed in the trenches dug by previous missioners. After placing them into the trenches, they were glued end to end and we all filled in the trenches.

The missioners had great fun with the children. They worked together, played a little, and tried to speak Spanish to each other. The children kept calling our students “loco” which means crazy. It was their favorite saying today.

One of the village ladies prepared a lunch of tortillas, rice, potato salad, and chicken that we ate in the church. It gave all a chance to stay out of the sun. I believe our temperature today hovers around 99.

Even though we rested well last night, many people had a nap on the bus. I think the altitude and the high heat is really sapping our energy. We were happy to find the electricity on in the compound. We hope it stays on. But the latest news is there will be no water after 6 p.m. We’re rushing to take our 90 seconds or less showers before that.

A group of us took a walking tour of Esquias – the village where our compound is located. Some of the boys had noticed what they thought were large mangos growing on a tree. We found one on the ground and took it to Monchin, one of our Honduran friends, to ask him if we could eat it. After laughing at us, he showed us how they cut it in half, clean it out like a pumpkin, and then use it as a type of scoop for water. We’re always learning something new in Honduras. We did relax a bit at the park and take care of a few chores around the compound.

We want everyone back home to know that everyone is healthy, happy, and enjoying their first 24 hours in Honduras. We ask your continued prayers for a successful project. Adios.

1 comment:

  1. Hello from Le Mars where we woke up to 30 degrees outside and ice on the windshields. 99 sounds pretty good from where we are sitting. Glad to hear all are safe and having a good experience. Work hard and pray hard! Mary, say hello to Tacha, Gissela and her grandparents for us. Hugs and kisses to them and to you Mary. We love you very much! May the peace of Christ be with you all! M&D