2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Monday, March 26, 2012

Justice

This last day has been filled with contemplative thought and a few tears. If you remember from one of my previous entries, we are building the house at site two for the Cabrera family, three boys and a mother. Kevin, one of the kids, has been particularly fun and kind. He calls me Bajo Jack because I'm the shortest of the workers. I was aware that there wasn't a father in the picture and was also aware that Kevin's mother was ill, but sadly, I didn't realize how sick she is. Her disease is terminal and there's no possible way to get treatment for her. So how is this fair? Kevin, a kid like any other you'd meet is living in a shack the size of a toll booth with a deathly sick mother, no father, no education, and no opportunities. I'm hurting, I really am that I can't do more. It forces me to come to the conclusion that life isn't just. My initial reaction is to feel completely powerless. There's disease, crime, and poverty running rampant throughout this country and all I am is a teenager with a shovel. But that's just it, that's exactly what I am. If life isn't justice then it is the duty of the privileged to make it just. I never truly realized it before, but I am lucky to be who I am and I have a civic and a moral duty to help out those less fortunate. I understand that there is only so much that I can do, but it is still something. It matters to me and it matters to Kevin and his family. If everyone can recognize and act on this call to service and unity, then maybe we can make life a little more just and better. What are those paintings where all the dots make a bigger picture? I guess everyone's acts can come together in the same way. I guess I'm one of them. I hope I'm one of them.

Jack G. OB

8 comments:

  1. I am so terribly sorry about Kevin's Mother,it doesn't seem fair. I don't know how old those children are, but they will always remember what you all have done for them, especially the time spent with them, especially that you cared. Kindness and compassion should be shared with all, because you never really know what is going on in their life, whether they live next door to you, or live in Honduras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, I have just read and posted your latest message. I promise that my brother Francis and I will pay particular attention to Kevin and his family and we will do everything we can for them. We have already discussed this in the past week. I couldn't agree more with all your comments. And to answer your last sentence - you ARE one of them. Richard Seivert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you are one of them. Life isn't fair the way we think of fair, anyway. Fair doesn't mean we are all given the same thing...it means that we are, hopefully, given what we need to survive. You and your peers were given to kevin to do what you can. If you weren't, he'd have the same circumstances but with no roof. I'm glad you have the opportunity to have kevin be one of the dots in your bigger picture. Keep plgging away and keep blogging as it helps you process

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buenos dias to my Heelan/Honduras familia! I miss you mucho grande!! Como estas? My many, many thanks to Senor Frank for getting me to the aeropuerto yesterday. Everything went fine--smooth sailing through Customs--no hay problema! (you know I'm sitting here with my "Spanish for Dummies book"!) I can't wait to hear about your day yesterday at the Basilica and at the Valley of Angels. I must comment on Jack's post. One does feel small and insignificant when you look at the magnitude of their situation there, but Keep the Faith, Jack. YOU are changing lives. One shovel at a time. One day at a time. One person at a time. I looked at my watch yesterday at 8:00 PM--time for junta. Even though I am not physically there with you, my HEART is there. Please give the children double hugs for me today. I have a favor to ask--I would like to get Nancy's email address if possible. Nancy was the young woman with us on Friday-she wore the shawl. Perhaps Marta can help us contact her? I would like to help her with her quest to learn English. Por favor know I love you all, you have given me SO MUCH. Continued prayers for your safe journey. Que tenga un buen dia! (have a good day). Senora Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Let Cos know I'm working on that T-shirt he wants...love, Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Tell Cos I'm working on that T-shirt he wanted!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Jesus said; "I never said it would be easy; I said it would be worth it" My own mother used to tell me that those he loves the most, will suffer most on earth so that they can enjoy forever the life with him in heaven. What you kids are doing for the people there, few people will ever even think about doing, which makes you among the elite and special. God is looking down on each and every one of you today and smiling with PRIDE and happiness, as are all of us back home. It takes a special kind of person to do what you are all doing there. God bless all of you. Keep the happiness and love in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said- you all need to remember to keep the faith. It can get you through anything!! We have heard so much about how this trip will be life changing for those of you in Honduras working, but it is also lifechanging for us here as we read your posts and feel what you are going thru. Just ask Fisher, I'm a complete mushball and sit and cry every night as i sit and read about your day and how you wonderful people are working to try and change the lives of your new friends in Honduras!! The stars are shining extra bright for all of you in heaven!!! My love to all of you

    ReplyDelete