2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Rushing toward the Finish Line



Today’s breakfast of eggs, ham, beans, and fruit greeted us at 6:15, after waking at 5:45. We felt the urgency to start a little early so we could get to the work sites earlier in the hopes of completing all of our projects before leaving.

Bruce assigned work crews for the day and off we went. The main event was painting at Paola’s house. With the painting crew in full gear, the outside of the house was painted in two hours. Dennis worked on the electrical wiring, while Pat and his crew put the finishing touches on the windows and doors.

The painting crew then moved to Dave’s house and began painting inside and out. Dave and his crew also worked on windows and doors.

One of the paint crews hard at work
After lunch all missioners, along with Marta and Sofia, walked to Paola’s house while carrying the roof tin. We had to be very careful not to bend the tin or it would ruin it. No worries, though. The missioners did an excellent job of walking together over rutted, rocky roads up the mountainside to deliver the tin to Paola’s house.

Carrying the tin for the roofs
While we were there, we sang “Feliz Cumpleanos” (Happy Birthday) to Paola and presented both her and Enrique with a small birthday cake and gifts. You can’t tell from the picture above, but both Paola and her mom were barely holding back the tears.

David presents the birthday cake
Then it was back to work. The paint crew continued working at Dave’s house, while Bruce took a small crew with him to do the finishing touches there. When the painting neared completion at Dave’s house, Linda sent a crew to Bruce’s to get started there. I am pretty sure it won’t take much more than a couple hours to finish that painting on Wednesday.

Tomorrow we take a trip to Talanga to serve food at the Feeding Center. Hopefully, the missioners will also have some time to play with the children. We’ll have a little picnic lunch of peanut butter & jelly and granola bars as we travel back “home.”

We’ll be working on gift bag creations and finishing the bunk beds tomorrow. We’ve decided to place a bunk bed inside each of our homes. If time permits, we hope to deliver more of the beds to other families.

I informed the missioners that we would sleep in until 6:30, and David and Alissa, I want you to know that Josie stated, “Yes! I never thought I’d be so excited about getting up at 6:30!” Just thought you should know that.

Please continue reading for other missioner messages:

Bruce and Alex
Hi, Mother.  Miss you and can’t wait to see you on Friday.  We are having fun and all the houses are going well.  Dad wants to bring a little kid home in his bag.  See you later. Love you! (P.S. You are lucky you got this many words out of us.)

J.D. and Lucas
Hi, Mother/Mary ---- get a crib ready – Dolly is coming home with us on Friday --- You will love her! Miss you lots. We are doing fine (except for some cuts on our hands to match our leader Bruce). Hope all is well there. Love you lots!

Nicole and Mark
Kris and Becs- We miss you lots but have been staying busy with the houses and talking to the Hondurans. Went to church in town on Sunday and went shopping in a lot of little shops for Nicole. Dad couldn’t find a Bomgaars or Bass Pro and was pretty disappointed. By the way, we are bringing the little girl in the picture home with us because Nicole wants a little sister that is actually smaller than her. Love you and can’t wait to see you on Friday!

Mark and Nicole with their little Honduran friend
Caroline
Hey Fam! Thanks for sending a message so quickly.J ConCon, I am SO happy you are having fun with soccer. I know you’ll have stories to tell me! Mom and Dad I know your lives seem worthless and empty without the bright shining star that is your daughter! I’ll have lots to tell you when I get home. Stefan, Happy belated Birthday! I hope it was as wonderful as you are! LOVE Y’ALL

Josie
Mom, I’m glad to hear Evie’s shower went well. I’m sure she was spoiled rotten. I am really happy you and Dad have posted and not forgotten about your middle child. ;) Dad, I never thought I would say this, but I miss your big booming voice, and I’m expecting a great big hug when you pick me up on Friday. I love and miss you all, and I am eager to tell you all about my time here!

Sydnee
Family, I miss you guys a little bit. Tell Rylie she can wear all the clothes she wants...NOT. Tell Travis that just because he got a job at Bob’s, he should know I am still Nate’s favorite Theisen. Love you guys all! See and talk to you Friday!

Morgan
Aunt Nita - It has been extremely odd waking up so early, but hopefully I can learn to do that back at home too! Mom, Dad, Michael, Miyah, and Marcus- Even though I haven’t heard from you, I miss you all very much! Can’t wait to tell you all about the wonderful life-changing experience I’m having. I can’t explain how grateful I am to be on this trip with such amazing people. Morgan and Taylor- I miss you both lots! I’ll see you soon, so don’t go too crazy without me. J Morgan, tell B Happy belated Birthday! Love all of you, and can’t wait to see you!

Melissa
Hi, everyone (not just Mom, since I got into trouble for that last time). Dad still isn’t into computers so I’ll speak for both of us. We are both learning so much about how blessed we are back home, and I think it is safe to say that we have both been touched by the lives of so many people here in Honduras. I miss everyone, but it is going to be so hard to break off the connections with the children here. Dad is even starting to learn some basic Spanish! Meghan Heying- This is your shoutout that I promised you! I miss you so much and can’t wait to see you! Taylor- I also miss you very much and can’t wait to see you! Love you all and see you soon J

Carolyn Bickford – Well, I’m glad at least one of my sons could write me a note. Drew, I know from your own mission experience that you know the changes we are making in our own lives. We are having a great trip. You would have loved working with this crew. Wow, Cayden! He is getting to be quite a big boy! That’s really good for his age. Give Cayden and Mya a big hug from Grandma. Jay, give Marshall and Paige a hug too. Love you!  - Mom/Grandma Bickford

Oh yes, thanks to my jr. high students for following the blog. (Aubree, you would really love the food here. Too bad I can’t share it with you.) Seventh and eighth graders, I hope you are really working hard in class and being good for Mrs. Schroeder. I expect to be impressed with the knowledge you’ve attained in my absence. Thanks Mrs. Christoffel and Mrs. Henrich for writing for the students.

17 comments:

  1. Morgan- we have been trying to post since Thursday! I think I may have finally figure this out. The picture Thursday was worth a thousand words. The 2 little girls could be your sisters and I could see in your eyes that you were in your element. Miyah says they can be your sisters while you are gone. But she and Marcus are anxious to see you. Michael started spring ball today. I am so proud of you and all the mission team members. Blessings to you, the team, and all the lives you are touching. Hugs- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David (or what should we call you now?)- It was so good to hear from you in yesterday's post. It looks like you are having fun and working hard. We are so proud of the work that you and your fellow Missioners have accomplished! We are anxious to see you on Friday and hear your stories about your amazing trip. Dad & I have one question for you though - where's your big hat? : ) We love you & miss you. See you soon! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex & Bruce! Alex, you made my day by writing even with so few words, I wouldn't want it any other way:) So happy all the projects are going well...sounds like your team is working hard and impacting so many people there as well as the impact they are having on you! I am so proud of you all and can't wait to see you Friday night and hear all about it. Love and hugs! PS...tell dad I am not so sure I have it in me to raise another child...we'll love them from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith and Michaela....we are getting anxious to see you on Fri. I'm sure you feel like time is slipping away and there is so much more to do. I can't wait to see all the gals proudly sporting their well-earned farmer's tans at prom! That probably seems like an insignificant problem to you after this experience. Uncle Tony said everyone in the U.S. should have to serve in a 3rd world country to cure the entitlement epidemic here. Keith/Forklift, I hope you didn't earn your nickname because you are so good at lifting your dinner fork

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mission Team,
    We are praying for you each day and reading the blog. It has been great to read of your experiences and to see all of the pictures. We are looking forward to hearing your stories. What a blessing you are to the lives you are touching. Keep up the hard work, have some fun, and stay safe!
    God's blessings to all of you!
    Mrs. Kellen and the Sophomores

    ReplyDelete
  6. "THANKS FOR THE SHOUT OUT!" (SAID IN A SARCASTIC TONE!)
    David and Nathan, What do you want to do about going to National Quiz Bowl? Love you and miss you!
    CSP Class

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Carolyn sounds like things are going great safe trip home see ya soon Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morgan,
    I won't be there Friday night to greet you but Marcus and Miyah can't wait to see you. Praying for safe travels for all of you.
    Love you lots,
    Aunt Nita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dj while your in Honduras Tom called me to take my spot back on the farm. Yesterday I stacked cornstalk bails which brought back old times. Definitely alot harder this time with just me and Tom. I managed to remember how to drive the 4020. Praying that you guys have a safe trip back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicole and Mark- Loved reading about the shopping you did, and dad's struggles finding his stores! Also loved the picture of you two with the little girl! I am so proud of everything you two are doing there, and cannot wait to see you both on Friday and hear all your stories! Enjoy your last few days, and keep up the great work! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone! I hope you are enjoying the sun, it's been cold and rainy all day here! I'm praying for all of you and your safe return. Can't wait to see everyone!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ashley- The first thing I did when we got back from Chicago, just before midnight, was go to the big computer and look at the photos on a big screen. The phone screen didn't quite cut it! Your dad looks at the blog first thing each morning. If this last week is an indication of how it will be when you are gone to college, we may be checking on you more than we thought! We are truly proud of you and can't wait to hug you and hear about every experience! Enjoy your last few days. I am sure there is a part of you that would like to stay. Packaging the food will be that much more meaningful in May.
    Love always, Mom and Dad, Kaylee, Cody and Anthony.
    P.S. Due to his Lenten abstinence, Cody is postponing his chocolate birthday cake until Sunday - so you will get some!

    Carter- Your Guardian Angel with Irish eyes is looking down on you with so much love and pride. Great poem!
    Love and Hugs, Laurel's Friend

    Dave, Janet and Fr. Doug,
    Thank you to you, and all of the adult leaders, for being there and helping teach our kids those lessons that can only be learned thru experience. We are truly grateful for all you are doing. We have very few worries, knowing Ashley is in such good care. We look forward to hearing your stories. Ken is hoping you have enough stories to keep him awake on the drive home from Omaha!! Let me know if you have any food requests for the trip home. See you on Friday!
    Ken and Pam Schmit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Caroline ~
    We had a beautiful rain here today. I think the green grass will be popping when you wake up on Saturday morning. We truly enjoy reading the blog each day and viewing the pictures. I know it will be hard for you to leave and the days are probably going by too quickly. Treasure your time with the team and the Hondurans because each of you will have grown spiritually, which bonds you together.

    We continue to keep you in our thoughts and pray for a safe trip home.

    Joe & Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Had to get Roman out to help.The houses you are building look impressive. From the pictures the area looks very poor.Keep the good work. I wonder if they would let me be boss down there. Will be glad to see you in Omaha Friday night.Love you son Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This blog is such a blessing to all of us here back at home!
    Carolyn, thanks so much for taking the time to update it at the end of your exhausting days. And thank you so much for the courage you have to share this experience with all of our kids! And I'm sure you will all be thankful about letting Josie get a few more minutes of sleep! :)
    Josie- dad's eyes got a little watery after reading your message...he blames allergies ;). I miss hearing you singing around the house as you are getting ready for school, dance, play practice, doing homework, etc! Share your song with the children you are serving! Love, mom <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Morgan,
    it's Miyah I've been going crazy because it's weird waking up and not having my sister in my house it's just really really crazy anyway I love what you doing in Honduras and hope you learn a lot. When we pick you up from the plane in Omaha tell me every single thing you did! Hope you get back safely.
    Love,
    Miyah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this blog! It is such an awesome way for those of us back home to "experience" as best we can what this team is experiencing firsthand. I have truly enjoyed following along and am amazed at all you have accomplished in a week. As your time in Honduras winds down, enjoy the friendships you've made, be proud of all you've done and know because of all of you, many lives have changed for the better.


    To the Leaders of Mission Honduras...thank you for your vision, for your desire to continually make the lives of the Honduran people better and for encouraging others to become a part of this life changing experience.

    Dennis & Melissa...as much as I've missed having you here with me, I'm happy you both chose to be a part of this mission. Very proud of both of you. Can't wait to hear the stories of the people you met, the things you did and the impact this experience has had on each of you. Looking forward to seeing you both on Friday...only 3 more sleeps! Love and miss you both!

    Continued prayers for the completion of your projects, good health for all and a safe return.

    ReplyDelete