2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Thursday, March 19, 2015

A new day from Nueva Capital

St. Teresa School
Nueva Capital, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
19 March 2015
0505 hours

Greetings to all those following the Gehlen Mission Honduras team trip to Nueva Capital.

The day has dawned early for me, as it usually does, so I am here in the kitchen area with the 2 cooks and some of the Honduran boys staying here to study.  They are busy getting breakfast ready.  We only have a couple lights on so its a bit dark here, and throughout the compound not much movement.  The team members are all still sleeping and I'm sure many will take all the time they can before getting up for breakfast and then to begin the days work.

The morning wake-up alarm was right on time.  It is a larger bus that comes by on the street in front of the school and every block its sounds it horn.  Today it was a musical tone.  I'm not sure if any of the team members heard it because I'm sure many are sleeping with ear plugs in.  I have heard this bus too often.  Now it will be followed by more traffic and another day begins on the top of this mountain.  For many here, their work is in the city of Tegucigalpa and many have to leave early to get to work.  Riding these buses takes time., and it's a little precarious.  I think it costs about 11 limpera's each way (about .50 cents).  I know what you are thinking...that's not so much!  Well for many here it is a lot because they also have to eat and many leave their families throughout the day.

The night was filled with it's usual cast of characters.  Rooster's crowing, dogs barking and early on people walking by on the street.  The street in front of the school is part of the main round coming up to NC.  The main bus switching area is about 1/2 kilometer away and is actually very close to where we had built the 3rd house here in NC.  The roadway gets busy and remains that way all day.  No running water here so all water is trucked it by large water trucks.  I am truly amazed at the driving skills of the drivers as they maneuver these trucks in and out of traffic, back-up to go another direction and so forth all the while dragging a large hose behind the truck with 2 guys following along either walking or riding.  All going up hill or down hill. These trucks all have pumps to deliver the water.  Horns sound their arrival in the area.  The cost for about 100 liters of water at a home is about 30 limpera's or about $1.40.  Most of this water is not treated and each family has to buy water to bathe, cook and so forth.  Knowing this, I'm always amazed when I look at the clothes of the kids, most that is, but certainly not all, how white the shirts and blouses are.  I can't even get my white socks clean in a washing machine.

When I got up this morning it was about 18.6 C or about 65 F heading to a high of about 28-29 C or 82-84 F.  It was a little cooler yesterday than forecast.  So...these guys are about as accurate as they are in the USA???  The long range forecast continues to call for temps in the high 80's each day and about 65 F at night.  I was pleasantly surprised last night at the temperature.  It was warmer, at least where Julio and I slept, than I remember.  Hopefully all enjoyed the temperature.  And no large amount of wind which was really good.

Julio has now joined me and we are drinking coffee and waiting for team members to starting wandering into the kitchen for coffee.

All team members are well, even though we had 1 that had a queasy stomach, who is now much better.  I'm sure the excitement will begin soon.  The kids start arriving about 0630 with school starting around 0700 hours.  Here these kids rush to get into school.  What a great concept - something we don't see in the USA, or at least I don't.

Breakfast is progressing.  I need to steal someones peanut butter.  It's been a long dry spell.  I wish all a felix dia.  God bless and continue to pray for this team and all volunteers that travel the world willing to share their time and talents to help those in need.  Bye for now.

Mr. Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment