2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Sunday morning

Sunday, April 02, 2017 before breakfast
Good morning all!! Here in Honduras the sun comes up early and is full light by 6:00am. We are easing into the day a bit as it is Sunday and a day of rest and relaxation. We will be celebrating Mass with our group at 8:30 this morning here in the compound (Fr. Doug presiding and Deacon Tim with the homily). What a blessing to have the Eucharist as it is the source of our mission and binds as one with Christ and all of you and our brothers and sisters here in Honduras.
We had a long lunch break yesterday to allow time for a siesta though most of our young missioners took time to play with the kids. The afternoon was productive as the 30 gift backs are almost completed. A crew started building some of the 15 bunk beds we plan to give out. Another crew went back to the house sites. House one is built!!! (all siding, interior walls and tin roof are complete) House two has all the exterior siding on and windows and doors hung. We are set to start painting on Monday and should be able to get house two completed as well. We are at a great point to have a day off from the work sites.
It is so great to see ALL the missioners not only working hard but also entering into the spirit of the mission. They have been forming relationships with the Hondurans that we interact with on a daily basis. I know that the children in particular have made their way into their hearts. Comments are already being heard such as, “I’ll be ready to see my family but I don’t want to leave.” We have been getting to know our families at the house site. A couple of the older boys have been jumping in and helping with the hammering. The little girls lift us up with their smiles. The women are so appreciative of all that’s being done for their families.
Back at the compound we had more free time today as Mass is Sunday morning. Some of our students even invited the local military volunteers to join them in a “friendly” game of soccer. [We are fortunate to have the assistance of a local military unit who provide us with some personnel and the military truck that transports our building supplies to the house sites each day.]  We had an early Junta gathering tonight to allow everyone to have a relaxed evening visiting with each other and some of the Hondurans.
After Mass we will visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Suyapa. It is a shrine dedicated to the image of our Lady discovered centuries ago by a Honduran man. She is the patroness of Honduras and very much revered. We will then go to Valley of the Angels and enjoy some pizza. It is a quaint village where the missioners can do some shopping for their families. We will return to the school to enjoy the rest of our day off.  (Blog post by Fr. Doug)

PS. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Kessenich family. Mass this morning will be for Carol (and Kenneth Ricke).

Katelyn Schulte

Hello everyone! I miss you all a lot! We are really busy, but are having tons of fun. Mom, Mitchy, Amy, and Luke we miss you all very much! Dad says he loves you! (He doesn’t want to write one) J See you soon, Dad and Katelyn

Deacon Tim Murphy

Hi Murph Clan and Kuemper Family, It has been wonderful being apart of this first Kuemper mission trip to Honduras. We’ve kidded Mac that he exaggerated on the conditions here to prepare us. Relationships have been a central part of our mission from team building to getting to know the residents.  I like adventure but it is nice to sleep in such a safe place, not have to worry about the food, and have so many building supplies and procedures set for us. The school compound is a wonderful oasis for 1500 children to daily escape the horrible situations they live in and learn how to make a better life for themselves. Thank you for your support and your prayers.

EVAN SCHETTLER

I’m having a great time in Honduras; the days move slow but the week is just flying by. The people here are easily my favorite part, with their infectious enthusiasm and seemingly endless cheer. The way the kids all charge into school in the morning grinning from ear to ear really makes me remember how Kuemper students tend to just trudge in clutching a cup of coffee. It’s a very different experience, and I hope I can bring some of that enthusiasm when I come back. To my family, I love you guys and I think about you a lot. Hope you’re having fun with your Evan-free week!

MiKayla Blum

Hi family! I am having a really great time in Honduras. The kids here are so friendly and are always giving hugs. Yesterday, I got to pack bags to give to families here, which was a great experience. Today we get to go shopping, which I am excited about.  I miss you all so much. I love you guys and I am thinking about you guys all the time.

Brandi Eischeid

Hello to everyone! Our mission trip is amazing. We are always busy working on the houses, packing bags for families, or playing with the kids. The weather is great here, even though my ears disagree. Today we are going to the Basilica and going shopping. Thank you everyone for all the prayers and support!


Jordan Wittrock

Hey Mom! Just wanted to say hi and that I miss you guys a bunch. This trip has been amazing and I’m super happy I bugged you enough about it to let me come!! Tell Brad he still sucks and I’ve thought of a billion jabs to make at him when I get back. J And to Shawn, tell him I’m sorry he’s sick and I wish I could be there to help take care of him!!
I miss you guys so much and I can’t wait to get home to tell you guys all about it! Love you all!
P.S. Grama, I’ve been watching over Papa like you said










No comments:

Post a Comment