2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Tables and Beds


Saturday morning began with a meal of ham & cheese quesadillas at 6:30; then it was time to build bunk beds and picnic tables. We stayed at the compound today to work, since there were no classes. Of course, there are always some children around, but not 1,000 of them.

The crew set up a type of assembly line for the beds, and it didn’t take long for them to take shape. Tom got his crew working on the vertical gardens. They had to cut pop bottles in half and zip tie them between the slats. They placed whole bottles on top, which will be used for watering the plants lined up below them. On Monday the agricultural military personnel will show up to help get everything planted and in place. The garden crew also fixed up the gardens from last year so they are also ready for new plants.

We ate steak, refried beans, salsa, tortillas, and fruit for lunch. Bruce then had everyone head right back outside to continue working on the beds and tables. One thing that you should know about the bunk beds is that they must be fully assembled to make sure everything fits together. Then they have to be disassembled to fit through the doorways of the homes they are going to. All the bolts and other assembly materials for them are stored in a Ziploc bag to go with the families. One of our construction crew always trains a Honduran in how to put them together because we won’t be there to transfer them to the homes. We do assemble the beds that were made for our families so we can surprise them with beds and other gifts on House Blessing day.

Bruce gave the work crew a break after the beds and tables were done so they could get a little rest. If we didn’t force them to take breaks, these missioners would run and play soccer with the Hondurans, play with the little kids, and find chores to do. Therefore, we insist on periodic rest breaks. We’re also pushing the drink breaks to keep them hydrated.

We surprised the missioners afterwards with a short trek down the road to a pulperia. That’s a little restaurant that sells a limited amount of items. We enjoyed a Coca en bolsa, also known as a Coca Cola in a bag, and that’s exactly what it is. They take a little baggie, pour some soda into it, put a straw into the baggie, and hand it to the patron. We also had some little bags of chips before returning to the compound.

Some of us toured the compound after that. Others decided to take the chance to lie down. And others challenged the Hondurans to a Honduras vs U.S soccer match. As I type this blog, I hear the U. S. was smoked, the typical result here of every soccer game.

We’ll be eating supper (shredded beef tacos) at 7 and junta will follow. Before retiring for the evening, we’ll go through the protocol for our Sunday. We’ll be spending all of Sunday away from Nueva Capital, as we’ll be attending Mass at the Basilica de Suyapa in Tegucigalpa. We’ll tour the original church after Mass and have a chance to light a candle for our departed loved ones. Our next stop will be Santa Lucia, quite a picturesque village. Marta’s brother has a property there that I like to call the Oasis. The kids can hike the grounds, rest in a hammock, sit around one of the fountains, etc. We’ll have a picnic lunch and then head for Valle de Angeles for our shopping day. More on that tomorrow.

At this time I’d like to jump back to tomorrow at noon. A group of us visited the school’s cafeteria during their lunch time and were delighted to see them serving Then Feed Just One food to the students. They allowed us into the kitchen, where Steve and Juan took turns stirring the ginormous pot of rice. Then we each took turns scooping the TFJO food onto plates for the children. We spotted the TFJO bag atop the 5-gallon bucket they had poured the bags into before pouring it into that huge pot of boiling water. On the way out we stopped the boy carrying some flattened boxes so we could check which events they’d come from. We found St. Mary’s Storm Lake, Heelan Sioux City, and Whiting. Though we were disappointed to not find Gehlen among the few boxes we saw, we’re pretty sure there were some at one point. It was nice for our team to witness the food being served on this end.

If any missioners decide to send messages later, I will try to send them before retiring for the night. Because we’ll be gone all day, know that tomorrow’s blog will be quite late, but I will get it done before I head for bed so you can hear all about our shopping day.

Thanks for continuing to follow our blog and sending those wonderful messages! Mya, I saw yours and am glad to hear the dogs are good! I hope Angel is good also.






















































Missioner Blogs 3-16

Aubree-
Hello to everyone back home! I miss you all and can’t wait to tell you all about this mission trip. Hey Landon I hope your face doesn’t look like much of a square anymore, and I hope you have a job when I come home so you can fill my car up with gas.J To the rest of my family, I bet the house is very quiet, and I bet you can’t wait for me to come back! Rachelle, I am glad you are keeping the weight room under control, get those gains! See you all soon!
*****
John
Hello to all family and friends back home.  We are doing wonderful work here in Honduras.  This is an experience of a lifetime.   We had a big day today building all the beds & tables.  Very proud of our team and what we have accomplished so far.
Congratulations to my daughter Taylor back home who was hired yesterday to be a kindergarten teacher next year.  Very proud of you and all your hard work getting your degree and getting your first teaching job.
Taylor, I made Katie cry a bit today when I told her your news.  She says congratulations and can’t wait to see what the future holds for you.
To my co workers at Schuster….Hopefully Don has not had to use his “Dad voice” too much this week!
Love and miss you Kim!
*****
Bruce -
To Pam, Love and miss you!

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great update! Sounds like things are going quite well! Lots of great pictures too! Enjoy the Sunday trip! Adam, looking good! Love you guys !
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the pictures and updates! What a difference you all are making! Hope everyone has fun tomorrow. Prayers that everything continues to go well. Love you Lex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jared!
    We all miss you so much and love hearing about all the work you are doing for the people of Honduras and we love seeing the pictures. Question....who won the push up contest??
    We can't wait to see you and hear all about your experiences. So glad you get to share this experience with your Mom. Hoping you got to see the little girls you met last year. The little boys (Beau and Carter) miss seeing you on Tuesday's. They need someone else besides Trevor to pick on them. :)
    We continue to pray for all of you as you serve the people of Honduras. We are so proud of you and your servant heart and are so happy you were blessed with another opportunity to be a part of the Gehlen Catholic Mission Honduras team.
    Love and miss you so much!
    Dad & Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mom it's Jenna I'm using the computer. I ran my first 800 in track last night. It was terrible. Half of the girls were at state volleyball so Fox was not happy. I was running the 600 and passed out on the 2 lap, Fox had me sit out the rest of practice. I miss you a lot. Jared I saw you being a stinker with the military. I hope you are having the time of your life over there. And I know how much you miss scaring Trevor and I. Just know I love both of you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola a todos!!It is nice to see everyone happy and healthy. Juan, what are you doing with that pot? The girls say hello and send you a hug. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures again today. Have a great day tomorrow going to massage the Basilica how special. And shopping what is a trip without a little shopping. Stay safe and sending prayers. Hi to John and Katie also to all the missionaries..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Missioners! I love seeing the pictures and by the looks of them, it is apparent that you are accomplishing a lot as well as making many new friends! You all are making a difference and it shows in the pictures, they tell a story themselves. Thanks for sharing your time and talents so willingly and unselfishly. Bruce...all is well here. Drew is relieved Alex is home for Spring break and giving him a break from your chores:) Alex is pretty proud of his ISU Cyclones...pretty awesome! We love and miss you and are praying for the whole Team!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adam, Steve, Ethan, and All --- Thanks so much for the great pictures and the update! Must admit I got teary-eyed when I saw the pictures of you all...you look so happy, and it seemed to me that you really felt the Connie tion to the meals you packed every May and how they blessed and impacted the people you are meeting and helping. Keep up the good work that you're blessing others with.
    Miss you and love you! Mom (Kris)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello everyone! Awesome pictures, looks like progress and memories are being made. Keep up the good work BJ! Its awfully quiet around here without you here. Miss you very much! Love you buddy. -Dad-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like things are progressing! Love seeing all of you using your talents! Enjoy your church and shopping day tomorrow. Everything is good here. Keep the pictures coming, I love all of them. Love to all of you! Carla ......Dan I think Oakley misses your company. Sage ..Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ellen and Ally, I miss you both, oh yeah Bim misses you too.While you guys are doing your mission there, I'm also doing mission here too, do the chores, home project (clean the house) :) Enjoy and have fun tomorrow. It looks like you guys are doing great there. Kodus to everyone all the missioners. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning! Katelyn, you’re missing out on Avery’s snuggles this morning. She spent the night here last night but she saved some for you when you get back!
    In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, here is part of St. Patrick’s Lorica which fits your mission well ....
    Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me, Christ in the eye that sees me, Christ in the ear that hears me.
    My prayer for you all today is that you feel Christ’s presence in and around you and you have time to “Be still and know that I am God.”
    Keep up the great work!
    Go.Do.Love

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Patrick

    Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. The pictures are amazing love seeing the progress on the houses. All is well over here the sun shining and our cardinal is really singing loud today. I am going to try to take Addi for a little walk today to see how she does, I may also open up the porch (Aka…Addi’s dog house). Hope you are all able to have a relaxing day today(Sunday). Love and miss you.
    Julie and Addi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Melinda- love seeing the pics of you, looks like you are having a great time. Three of the horses were out when your sisters got home from school the other day and guess who the ringleader was... the great escape artist, Casper! You know he is always the instigator! Hank also misses you so much we found him sleeping on your bed. Sami says since she is doing your chores while you're gone, you have to do hers when you get home. Hannah says she misses the rides to school in the morning and hopes no chickens are in the compound getting you. Dad says he loves you and misses you.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you all enjoyed your day in the city, looks like you have definitely earned it! The pictures look great- making some real progress! I love that you were able to see some of the TFJO meals in action- how awesome to see the meals you packed making a real difference.
    Prayers continue for you all- keep up the great work, soak up every second and store those memories in your minds and in your heart!
    Dylan, looks like you are having a great time- love the smiles in the pictures ��
    Love you, from all

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hoping all of you enjoyed your day off in the city. It was a beautiful day here and a great day to wash and clean out vehicles. Took Deven and I yesterday and today to get our fleet all cleaned up. Sorry Scott but I did not try to open the machine shed doors to get out big blue and the S-10 pickup. I can clean those up when you get home. Drew, your Ranger is quite a challenge for someone short like me to clean. All is well at home. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You all look busy and happy! i love seeing the kids working alongside all of you, I am sure everyone is making wonderful memories. I prayed for you at Mass this morning, I hope today was a great day for everyone and a chance to catch up a bit and gear up for tomorrow. Things have really settled down here, no more lake behind the barn Meredith and Tom. I am sure you have heard the Cyclones are moving on. The sun is shining and is supposed to the rest of th week. Keep up the great work and may God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Izzy I miss seeing your smile everyday! I hope you had fun shopping. Keep working hard. I love and miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi. Love you Isabelle. Love you Dad. -Jack

    ReplyDelete
  22. Greetings from a sunny Iowa - did a 3 mile walk today and the birds are singing!! Still a chill in the air but Spring is trying!! The pictures are such a blessing i never thought i would miss you guys so much!! I am beyond proud of this group it seems like you are ahead of schedule which is a blessing for Honduras!! Now about this soccer situation we need to work a little harder at this!! Also it is great to see Chris and Steve working and not causing trouble!! Prayers for all!! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello to all...you are doing amazing work...work that will change lives and will stay with you forever! Katie...thanks for the house information...I am going to ask our 6 th grade buddies to conver the feet into inches and help us measure....I’ll let you know what we find out...will our classroom be bigger/smaller than the houses you are building?!
    Mrs. Bickford.....I am sure my kiddos will love hearing from my former English teacher.....and I will continue to chant...” capital letters and ending marks...capital letters and ending marks....and don’t forget....I is always capital”
    John...so excited for Taylor and her future! Stay safe and know we are praying for all of you! Keep the message and photos coming!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Carolyn! Things are looking great there! Paige and Marshall like to find you in the pictures :) paige also says hello to Izzy ;). Praying for your health and energy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Missioners it's Krista here! I love seeing all you guys in a place that is so dear to my heart as I am sure it already is in yours. I hope to see a lot of you once you get back so I can hear all your stories. You are all doing great work and I am proud of each of you! Isn't that Church beautiful! I remember last year a dog came to praise with us.
    Hope you are all having a wonderful time and enjoy the rest of the week. It goes by fast! Be sure to take a deep breath and take in your surroundings.
    With Love,
    Krista Lipp

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Missioners it's Mason here. Hope you are having a great experience because you may never get the chance again. Time flys when you are down there but be sure to take it in and enjoy it but keep up the hard work because those people deserve your help. Just want you all to think of one thing on the trip that sticks out to you and think about that one thing everyday to remind you how lucky you are. And if you get the chance go stand up on the big hill on the other side of the school grounds at night looking over the city and take it all in. Also Caden say hi to Reina for me.

    ReplyDelete