2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Friday, March 15, 2019


I see that Francis is doing a great job of keeping you posted in the morning, for which I’m thankful. I can never get to the blog until the afternoon. He is generally the first to rise in the morning; thus, he can let you know what’s happening before the rest of us crawl out of bed.

Our second full day in Honduras began with a breakfast of French toast and fruit. Many of us enjoy the Honduran coffee. I noticed that the cooks make two full urns that usually make it through breakfast.

Wait, I should go back to yesterday, since I blogged fairly early in the day. Most of the crew worked on the houses in the afternoon. Bruce was very happy with the progress made and allowed the crew to return to the compound at 4. That’s good for a couple reasons. First, it means that we will probably finish the homes in plenty of time for the students to decorate them. And, second, it lessens the chances of dehydration because of the heat. Some of us also worked on the gift bags that are here at the compound.

At 4:30 we all gathered in the library to celebrate our first Mass together. It was a nice time to center ourselves.

Supper consisted of chicken tacos, shredded cabbage, and fruit. We then got to surprise Melinda with a little birthday party. We’d had a large Honduran cake made especially for her and were fortunate to find a birthday candle. It was for a first birthday, but it truly was her first birthday celebrated in Honduras. We had plenty of cake for all who wanted to try it. Of course, no birthday in Honduras is complete without a piñata! After all that excitement, it was hard to get everyone into quiet mode for our junta.

Now, back to Friday – today. A sizable work crew headed for the house site, but we pulled out a group of four to deliver the first of our gift bags. Not only are the families who receive these gift bags extremely grateful for the items, it gives our missioners a chance to see how the people in Nueva Capital live. I’ll be including some of those photos in tomorrow’s blog.

As I draw to a close on today’s blog, I want everyone to know how much we enjoy reading your comments on the blog. Please keep them coming and encourage others to read the blog. Later today I’ll give the missioners a chance to write their own messages to you. I’ll post those before I head for bed tonight, so please check back later for that.

Mary’s friend – she said YES, you can share with her students. Hello to Miss Peters 2nd graders. I want you to know that Miss Peters was one of my junior high students many years ago. I’ll bet she’s a great teacher!

We are glad to hear the flooding is not growing worse back there. You are definitely in our thoughts and prayers.

Until later when I post the missioners’ blogs! (Yes, I know I got carried away with pictures today.)











































Missioner Blogs – Friday
Carolyn –
Hi, Mya. It was nice to hear from you. I hope you’re enjoying your long weekend break. How are Max, Chunk, and your parents? And tell your mom that I am following the doctor’s orders MOST of the time. I love you, buddy!
Hi, Cayden. Thanks for writing to me. I hope it gets warm enough for you to play basketball outside. I love you, too, buddy!
Hi, Paige. I hear you’re living at my house for a while. It’s just like when you were little. Are you sleeping in the room with all my missioner crosses on the wall? When I come home, I’ll add the next one. I love you, buddy! You can tell Marshall too.
I’m sending a big Grandma Bickford hug to all of you! Be good!   ~ Love, Grandma
To all my family and friends in Northwest Iowa, I am doing quite well and amazed at what we have accomplished in just three days.  I have mastered the 30 second shower, and I have eaten some foods I have never had before.  I am sending lots of love from here to all of you and be sure to give Ollie, Rae and Sylvia extra hugs and kisses from Grandma Mary.
Katie-
Hi everyone! I am having a fantastic time in Honduras. As many of you know, I am a picky eater, but I am figuring out how to eat the food here.
Mom, you should be proud of me; I have NOT gotten burnt. I miss you and Taylor a lot, but I’m not sure I’m going to want to come home.
Grandma Jo, I miss you and grandpa and our pre-work talks. I can’t wait to get back and tell you all about this trip.
Marsha, your shoes are getting good use. Thank you for sharing the pictures with your class. The dimensions of the houses are 20 feet by 20 feet. Inside, the house is divided in half, making two rooms 10x20, and one half is divided by half for bedrooms that are 10x10.
Thanks, everyone, for the prayers. Dad told me to say hello from him to everyone! Love and miss you all, don’t drown!
Hello Stacey and Deven,
This is Dad. First of all, it is hot. On Friday morning I developed a blister on two of my toes but am still working. This whole adventure is hard to imagine. I have been able to eat everything that they have given us. After seeing what they get to eat, we are lucky. I do hope all is good back home and I miss both of you, Buddy too. I will see you in a week. Keep blogging, it makes everyone happy.   Love Dad!
PS: Drew is doing well also.
__________________________________________________
Hello Tom Schuch and all!
What a blessing to be here! I have heard the stories for years and now it is the real thing! Parents – you would be so proud to watch your children work. They are working hard, pitching in, learning how to use the tools and do whatever they are told. It is quite impressive. The houses go up so quickly! The 7 adult women are sleeping in one tiny room, and it is like a sorority. We also have 2 geckos rooming with us.  One has been named Charlie. I really wish that I could speak Spanish. But the smiles are universal. When we arrived, the kids just came running to follow the buses into the compound. They know what our arrival means. To the Bretey Family – I met Dilcia, Paola and Javier the first night. It was quite a reunion when I gave them your gifts. Paola was wearing the necklace the next day. Adam and I are doing great!  Such an amazing experience.  Thanks for taking care of everything while we are here.
Go. Do. Love.
Love, Lori (and Adam too!)

Hi Jenna, Family and Friends,
Thank you Jenna for the sweet message. Jenna, it was nice to hear from you. Miss you guys so much!  I am doing well.  I am having a good time here. I am trying new foods here, believe it or not. I have helped build the houses and have helped packed the bags for the kids.  Sending lots of love back home.  Thanks, Bob, for taking care of all the construction and mess back home.  Sorry to leave you with all of that.  Love you guys…Lisa
Hey, everybody, just wanted to give you a little update from down here. It is very warm in the afternoon but nice in the morning. The food is great, like usual. The homes have been going up quickly. Also thanks Jenna for the message. I miss scaring you haha. Trevor I hope you are lifting like you have been and helping everyone out; miss you lots, bud. Dad, I hope the water mess isn’t causing too much trouble for you. Miss you as well. Love you all, Jared
Hi everyone! I absolutely love hearing all the replies on the blog!! Please keep posting a lotJ. Leah-HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You’re lucky. I was almost too late to post tonight. I’m so thankful I got it in. I miss you all so much at home, but this place is amazing. Dad-You would be so proud of me. I used a hammer drill! Mom-Your posts are uplifting and inspirational I think everyone enjoys them a lot. Also, I look forward to your notes every night, THANK YOU so much. Alec, Rachel, and Aden, I hope you are all doing well. Give Leah an extra birthday hug for me. And everyone who helped me get here-I cannot thank you enough. Somehow even though it is so poor, it is also beautiful. Luckily, I have not gotten sick yet. Please pray for the health of all of us missioners. See you all soon.
Go do love,
Katelyn

23 comments:

  1. Never can be to many pictures. Prayers for all. Love your blogs. Hi to John and Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love all these photos!!! Hello everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Izzy the basement is quiet without you! I love you and I miss you! Love you too Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Melinda🎉🧁🎈. Katie ... is one of those little boys Oscar, or is it Okra? Each day share that smile and big heart of yours with those little children! I am thankful that you are using sunblock but don’t forget to hydrate! And John, Taylor and I are doing pretty good holding the fort down!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see the saw Mark donated made it over there and is being put to good use. I am sure he would have personally delivered it this year as he had such a great experience last year, but what a crew you have this year. Sending a shout out to Linda Reichle, Pat Jones and Bruce Kellen for giving your time again this year. How many trips have you all made?! And a big shout out to Carolyn, Francis & Richard for organizing this and giving everyone this opportunity. Drew & Scott - I am convinced Buddy will be sharing Stacey's pillow by the time you come home! ENJOY YOUR TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear you're making such good progress on the houses! What a blessing your labor is to these lucky families. I see you're hard at it by the pictures, Adam, keep up the good work!
    Today was cool, but beautiful out, and I could smell Springtime coming. Supposed to be 63 degrees on the day you return. Dixie is missing you and pouting, but wishing you a great trip.
    Love you a ton! Mom (Kris)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep up the photos they are great and all the smiles are so great to see - heartwarming!! HOPE is a wonderful word but and even better feeling!! I know wherever you guys are you are spreading hope keep up the great work!! Prayers that you all stay healthy and hydrated!! love you Izzy and Chris. -Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jared thinking of you and your mom daily. Love the pictures. Stay safe. Love you Nena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing all the pictures... brings back great memories! Hope you had a great birthday Melinda, looks like one you will remember. Grandpa gets released tomorrow (Saturday)... looking forward to getting home, but not the rutty, muddy roads. I'm sure you are super upset you are missing butchering (NOT)... your dad texted me that they already had one half done by 6:45 tonight. Hank misses you too, I called home and talked to him today. Love you and miss you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to see and hear from all of you! The pictures are wonderful. I spent so,e time in the adoration chapel praying for you today. All is well here. Miss you all and can't wait to hear all about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above post is from Laurie (Mrs.) Kellen! I have been having a little trouble getting on here for some reason. It is going to be another sunny day here which we are thankful for. I looked ahead at the Gospel for Sunday, it is the Transfiguration, I thought I would mention that in case your Spanish is as good as mine! :) Love seeing all of you working side by side with the Hondurans. May God bless you as you are blessing them. Enjoy your time. I am sure the comments will poor in on Tuesday when we are back in school and pulling up the blog during classes. Grandpa and I are keeping the 4H beef going Mere, Bailey missing you guys but not as much as me!

      Delete
  11. Hey everyone!! It's Alexa. I've been reading the blog and you have all been in my thoughts and prayers every day. Looks like you are all doing amazing work. I so wish I was back there with you, and I am so extremely proud of all of you. Just know the work you are doing will have a lasting impact on not only the families you are helping, but also you -- just as much, if not more. Kate, I've been sending daily updates to your phone because, really, we both know how distractible I am and there was NO way I would be able to remember all these stories for when you're back.......and oh boy, trust me it has been an eventful week. I miss you bunches and cannot wait to see you soon!!! Happy belated birthday Melinda, sounds like it was wonderful!! Also, if (or more likely, when) you guys see my friends Raquel and Nelson give them a big hug from me. Appreciate every minute, it's over before you know it. I can't wait to hear all of your stories, keep up the great work everyone :)
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving all the pictures and you all r doing an awesome job...lots of prayers to you all stay safe...and BJ..i love and miss you very much kisses from mom kiddo..❤

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are glad to hear things are going well. It is slowly getting warmer here. The snow is almost melted. Le Mars flooding has been receding but many of the surrounding communities continue to deal with flood conditions. Aubree your brothers must miss you as they have been driving your car the past few days! You may have to fill it up with gas when you get home! We look forward to hearing about your experience. Love you, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scott, thanks for the post. Sorry to hear about the blisters. Guess you should have taken your work boots instead. Glad to hear Drew is still doing OK. The sun is shinning today and we are going to Rachel's wedding today. Hope coming home from Sioux City will not be a huge challenge. So hard to believe the flooding around here and the devastation people are dealing with. Carolyn, you could never post too many pictures for those us back home. We love to see them. Mary, it looks like your mom had a nice birthday yesterday. In the pictures that were posted, she looked very happy. Happy late birthday to Melinda. Glad they celebrated in Honduran style with you. Continue prayers for all of you and enjoy your day off tomorrow. Love and miss you, Scott and Drew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Kate! Iowa State is in the Big 12 championship vs Kansas! Miss and love you! I’m becoming a chef lol! Don’t worry I keep daily updates for you, so your Snapchat will be full! ;) Lisa, thank you so much for the sweet note and treat! Hope you are enjoying this and I can’t wait to hear everyone’s experience when you get back! Aubree, don’t worry I’m keeping the weight room under control! Also happy Birthday Melinda! Give the kids a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Moe the fam bam misses you lots. You are missing out on Grandma's Chocolate Chip Cookies (which are delicious like always!) Hope you are having fun and getting a great sun tan. Aunt Joyce and Aunt Deanna says to keep working hard and be safe. Grandma Zub says she is excited to see you and hear about your trip! Hannah says to hurry home so she doesn't to have ride to school with dad anymore. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Listening to Matthew Kelly a lot lately and reflecting how impactful your “holy moments” are right now. I cannot wait for you to share all of those with us back home. Katelyn, the house is quiet without you here. You are missing out on helping Aden give pigs shots today! Alec comes home tomorrow so I will have to step up my chef skills;) Soak in all of your experiences and share your smile wherever you go! Love you!
    Go.Do.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey everyone. It's James. I love seeing all the pictures and reading the blog. I miss Honduras and all the people, but am so glad you all have this opportunity to be there! Keep working hard, and have fun with the Hondurans. Mere, I saw a picture of you holding a hammer and a little girl swinging one. Soak it up, working alongside the Hondurans are some of my favorite memories. I am sure Dad is teaching you a lot, soak that up too. :) Can't wait to hear all of your stories when you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katelyn, this is Dad. (Who are we kidding, this is mom writing what Dad says!) Good you are learning how to build so you can help me and Alec this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey all, I am loving all the pictures! It looks like you guys are doing amazing work-you make us all proud! I love all the smiles, I can tell you are all putting your hearts and souls into your work and your interactions with all the people you meet!
    Dylan, we are missing you here- we came to the lake for the weekend for Trevor's birthday, Will and Bonnie came to celebrate with us. You would not believe the snow still on the ground up here! Love ya!
    Keep up the good work everyone- we look forward to getting updates every day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Bradi, it’s Janie. The boys and I thought it was important to tell you we didn’t make it to Ames this weekend, so no one else had to show your cow! We’re extremely proud of you and can’t wait to hear your stories. We miss you but we’re so happy that you are fulfilling your dreams of helping others. We loved looking through pictures and looking at all the opportunities this has given you. Loves!

    ReplyDelete