2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Excited To Work!


Our day began with a breakfast of pancake and fruit. I have to admit, the coffee was very welcome. I needed that jolt of Honduran coffee after yesterday’s LONG day, the chaos of unpacking and setting up, and sleeping on a strange mattress with lots of unfamiliar noises. From the morning comments, there were plenty who felt the same way.

Even though we had a few groggy people this morning, everyone was ready and willing to dig in and go to work. Step one was to load the wood needed onto the military transport truck. Along with the wood, we took two generators, most of the power tools, the miter saw – a very welcome addition from Mark VonArb, hammers, batteries, and all tools necessary to build the homes. A large group of missioners then set out on the walk up to our home sites.

By lunch time they had the frames for two houses done and more than two walls sided. We’ve also met the mothers of the homes we are building. The three women kept saying “Gracias a Dios” that they were receiving new homes. They clapped and smiled – you could see the gratitude in their eyes and smiles, and, of course, with their words.

House 1 will belong to Raquel. She has a husband and 5 children. The children’s ages range from 12 – 21. Raquel works as a cleaning lady to help support her family. Her husband also works. They actually have a child in college, so education is important for them.

House 2 is for Roxana. Roxana sells candy outside the bus station to make a living. She is a single mother of 5 children, ranging in age from 4 – 20.

House 3 will be occupied by Belkis and her five boys. They range in age from 1 – 15. Belkis makes tortillas to support her family.

Back at the compound, two different crews were working. Tom Kellen headed a crew, working on vertical gardens. They tore apart the pallets from Then Feed Just One, and put them together into the shape of a cube. Tomorrow the agricultural branch of the military will bring fertilized soil and seedlings; together we’ll use 2-liter pop bottles that are cut in half to plant the seeds and seedlings. They’ll also be shown how to water the plants so they’ll be harvesting their first crop in a couple weeks.

The final work crew at the compound continued working in the library, where they finished sorting all the supplies carried in our black duffles. Linda then had them create the gift bags for certain special people who work with us here. Right now they are in the process of making gift bags for various families, which we’ll start delivering tomorrow.

We ate a delicious lunch of chicken and rice with small carrots and bits of corn, tortillas, watermelon, cantaloupe, and bananas. We had a mandatory siesta for 20 minutes to keep everyone out of the sun, I read some blog comments (keep those coming), and now everyone is out working on the various jobs. We try to be sure everyone gets to the house sites so they can all experience that. Hopefully, we’ll also get everyone to work on gift bags and the vertical gardens.

We are celebrating our first Mass at 4:30 (5:30 for you). We’ll pray that it stops raining there so you get relief from the flooding. I see we’re having shredded beef tacos for supper, always a group favorite. I’m hoping that the missioners can have a little “down” time tonight so they don’t get overwhelmed by this experience and truly can let it wash over them, absorbing it all.

Tomorrow we plan to continue working on the homes, plant the gardens, and begin our home deliveries of the gift bags. It’s an eye-opener for our students to see the conditions under which these children live and what they have to go through to get to school for a basic education. If at all possible, I’ll try to get the blogs up before late at night. Since I’m limited by my arm, I most likely will not be doing much work on our projects, and that gives me time for the blog.

Until Friday!





















14 comments:

  1. So happy you all arrived safely! I am praying for all of you continually that God gives you all the grace and love to really absorb the heart of this mission. Flooding here is like I haven't seen before...parts of Hwy 75 and 60 are closed. The fields look like lakes and with the strong wind today, I noticed heavy waves on some of them even! Really bizarre and intimidating to look at.
    Adam, I love you tons! Go be a Day Brightener!!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures, especially the ones with the kids from Honduras! Praying for you all! Katelyn, Leah really misses you and hopes you are having a great trip! Proud of you all! Go.Do.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pictures makes you feel like you are apart of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an amazing day- I love seeing you all dig right in! I think I can speak for all when I say we LOVE seeing these updates and the pics! We miss you Dylan- especially Patches-lol. Don't cry, we had pink pasta without you :)
    Love you- keep experiencing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing all the pictures! Sounds like the first day of work went well! Prayers to the team! Lexi- Jordyn took a video of the flooding near us so you can see it when you get home. Take care of you - we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone Im so glad everybody is safe. I hope you guys are having fun with kids. Emily and I miss you Bj (King Benise). Love you buddy, hopefully your enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Carolyn, for sharing pictures! It looks as if you are off to a great start! Katie, you won’t be playing softball any time soon as the field is completely under waterπŸ˜”. Miss your smiling face (dad too).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds and looks like you’re off to a GREAT start!! Savor every moment! We are so very proud of all of you! Can see God working his wonders through your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! It looks like you had an amazing first day! You are changing lives, making a difference, and creating lifelong memories. Keep enjoying every minute of your adventure. Katie...glad to see my shoes are working well for you....kind of like a little piece of me is there with you! 😊. John and Katie...soak in every experience...I can’t wait to hear all about it....Katie....especially all about the kiddos you will meet πŸ’•. Thanks to both of you and the whole group....you are all an inspiration! God Bless you all! πŸ™πŸΌ ( ps.....my second graders are going to love the photos...thanks for them and can’t wait to see more).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great update and pics! Like Kris said lots of water kind of erie. Praying for all of you! Steve Mousel, you'll be happy to know it worked out for me! They didn't suspend adoration until Thursday night . Proud of you all! Adam Schuch this is your dad, I love you ! Of course you to Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi mom I hope you are having a exciting experience down there and made friends with a bunch of children that have probably melted your heart. I hope you took Jared's advice and wake everyone up or at least the girls by singing the song you sing to me every morning I'm at your house. I listen to it in the morning and when I'm missing you. Know that I'm doing okay here with dad and got a 9/10 on Social Studies. I love you and miss you. Jared as much as it pains me to say this I miss you messing with me till no end. I miss all the I love yous when I'm about to leave the house in the morning for school. The ones before bed, the ones at the end of a phone call, and my favorite the one when I wake you up and I'm walking out of the room and I hear the soft "I love you," before you roll over and pretend you didn't say a thing. I hope you have got to meet up with the little kids you dedicated your candle to. And the man you gave your boots to last year I hop you have given him the pair that Papa bought you to take down there for him. I love both of you and miss you dearly. Have a safe and wonderful rest of your trip making the world better little by little. I hope that when I'm given the opportunity to go I get to share it with you also mom as Jared is getting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Patrick

    Love seeing all the pictures and so glad all the bags and lumber have arrived. You are all making a difference out there, savor every moment it will go fast.
    Wanted to write earlier but have been busy with the flood fight that has now turned into an ice skating rink in my back yard. The water was up to our knees, We had sump pumps outside to move the water and we dug trenches from my house to Andrea’s street. So far so good the basement is dry.
    Addi is on hunger strike since you left and she falls asleep staring at your house waiting for you to come home. We miss you and hope that all is well. Sending prayers your way and asking for prayers for all those dealing with this water as it truly is something we have never seen before.
    Be safe and Miss you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Everyone! It's Eli :) Looks like you guys got off to a great start, and I can not wait to see the rest of your progress! Caden, I hope you get to see all the friends we made last year! Make sure to tell them "hi" for me! Sage, I hope you are ready to read the hundreds of messages I have sent to your phone while you are gone :) I miss you, and can't wait to see you when you get back! I hope all of you are having a great time, and cherishing this experience of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sun is shining here today. It is 32 but feels warmer!
    I checked the farm and all is well no water in the basement!! Keep making the memories! Love all the photos!! Look forward to reading the blog!
    Love Carla

    ReplyDelete