2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Monday, March 18, 2024

It's just another Manic Monday

 The team jumped right back into work after such a relaxing day yesterday. We started the day early to try to beat the heat. This morning, we mostly finished siding the houses and getting the roofs ready for tin to hopefully go on tomorrow. We took many much-needed water breaks as the temperature got has been in the lower 90’s.

We took a longer lunch to relax and cool off before enjoying what I am pretty sure is everyone’s favorite meal here so far – fried chicken and mash potatoes. There was a long line for seconds and no potatoes left after the first round! A small nap to recoup before starting the afternoon.

Once we began working again, 2 groups of missioners were able to go deliver 8 bags of donated items with the students. Up at the job site, work continued on the houses. Windows, doors, and painting are in progress. Again, lots of breaks to avoid any heat exhaustion. Cold showers will be much welcomed tonight I’m sure of that.

Some of our students wanted to write home so here is what they have to say!

Student blog comments:

Hey family! Its Shayla! Mom, I am doing great and having so much fun. Dad, check in on when the pool can get opened. This heat is making me ready for summer! Logan, me and Bruce are still waiting for our comment! Can’t wait to tell you all the stories! See you soon!

Hello mom, grandma and grandpa. It’s Kolby. Yall don’t worry about me I’m doing good, and having fun. The work is not too hard, the hardest part is probably the heat. The food is delicious, and whenever it’s not (Which is never) I have a PB and J. They weren’t wrong when they said you can’t describe it. I’m excited to tell you all the stories. See you in a few. P.S. Pecks, TDog, and Big Beit, we gotta hit the gym when I get back.

Hola to all my family and friends, I miss all of you so much but I am having a great time. I am doing fine on the food so don’t worry!! Can’t wait to tell you all of the things that have happened here! Love you and see you soon!! – McKenna

Hey Mom and Dad, its Lynsey! I’m having so much fun down here and making so many new friends. I can’t wait to share all the stories and pictures when I get back! Love you guys to the moon and back! Also, hey Gabe I miss hanging with you so much and can’t wait to see you when I get back! Love you to the moon and to Saturn<3 ps ferda

Hey mom and dad, its Haley! I’m doing great and having so much fun down here.  I love and miss all of you guys. Also, Veah and Carter I can’t wait to tell guys all the stories. Lastly Grace, Haley, Kate, Tyler, Addy can’t wait to have supper Saturday with you guys.

Hey family! On my flight, I realized that I didn’t say goodbye to the pups so please give Apache a hug for me please. Today I got to pet a dog with a stick because they won’t let me actually pet them. I also got to hold a bunny. Tell Grandpa I love him, and can’t wait to see you all Friday! (Mom please remember my phone and charger). – Joci

Hey mom and dad, we have been hard at work and I am making many new friends down here. I went shopping yesterday and got many good things to show you when I get back. I have so many stories to tell you when I get back. Thank you for giving me the ability to go on this trip. I will be golfing the first day I get back, just after I wash my car. Love you guys lots. – Dawson

Hey fam, we have been busy working on the houses. I am having so much fun spending time with all the children and missioners! Can’t wait to tell you all the stories, and show you all the pictures! Can’t wait to be home! Also, hopefully Auggie is behaving for you all, I miss him so much! I am enjoying seeing pictures of him that you sent with me! Love and miss you lots! See you soon! – Alyson

Hey mom and dad, I hope you guys are doing good at home without me there to entertain you and keep the house clean! Kind of funny I’ve only been gone for a week and dad already forgot that I own him at basically every game we play😊 I’m sure you’d be shocked to know I’ve not only tried goat cheese, but have had it multiple times! Give Madi, Owen, and the girls a hug for me, and I can’t wait to see you guys when I get back! Love, Cole

Hey to all family and friends, we have been busy working on the houses and talking to all the children. They are always smiling and I can’t wait to tell you all about them when I get back. Grandma and Grandpa, I will have to help you build the deck because I’m basically a pro at nailing now. Can’t wait to see you all, and mom can you bring me chick-fila at the airport. I can’t wait for some American food. Love you guys! -Addie

What’s up everyone. We are doing very well down here in Honduras. The food here is actually pretty good but it doesn’t compare to any grilled food that dad makes. Mom is actually working and it surprised me a little bit. I am working hard as well on the houses and beds. We haven’t had any problems making any friends. We can’t wait until we are back to share everything that we have learned and experienced. See you on Friday, lots of love. -Will and Jill Harpenau (Hope Lane is surviving at home without mom)

Hello friends and family! Greetings from Honduras, it’s been hot and humid here. I miss you all so much and hope everything is going well at home. Mom, I am sad that I missed the nieces and nephews, I hope they were good. I also miss you AND you’re cooking. The food here is okay, nothing compared to yours though! Jaime, I miss you a lot and wish you were here, I know you’d love it if you were here and I hope you had a great time on your mission trip. Dad, I hope you’re proud of me because I can nail nails pretty good now! Send love and hugs to everyone back home. Love and miss you guys -Ellen

Hey everyone! I’m happy to say that my Mission Trip has been filled with hard work and many new experiences. I’m loving my time here but also miss all of you guys back home, I can’t wait to see you all and tell you about my trip, I love you all and tell Jack that I miss him and I brought him back a cool toy.     -Trevor

Hi mom dad Korey grandpa grandma aunt mei aunt nancy and cousin Edwin. Hope you are all doing really good I am fine in Honduras. Tell everyone that I love and miss them. I have helped build several houses as well as beds. I love you all and cannot wait to see you all. I am not sick, hurt, or have been taken advantage of. I am doing well and will return with many photos as well as many pictures. When I come back, please prepare lots of Chinese food I miss it very much. Love you madeline hope you are doing well. Love you Loads. Please comment on the facebook or on the website Id love to hear from all of you! -Kyron Zhang

Hi friends and family. Dad, like I said before I left for the trip, you are the man of the house now that I am gone. Hope you kept things under control and found ways to entertain yourselves. Mom, I hope you’ve been keeping Maizy happy and fed. Sydney and Ethan, I don’t have much to say to you, just keep doing what you’re doing. That’s about all I’ve got. See you guys on Friday! Love, Alex

Hey friends, family, and Solomon, I hope you all are doing good and I wanted to let you know I am doing great. I can’t wait to show all of your pictures, and tell you stories about this trip. Eli, I hope you are keeping Dad good company, and Taylor I can’t wait to hear about your trip to Peru. Alicia, I miss you and your kids so much, and I guess Alex too. Solomon, I miss you and hope that you are keeping yourself busy. A little boy picked me a bouquet of flowers so looks like you got some work to do… JK. I love you all so much and cannot wait to see you when I get back! Much love, Kylie

Hello mom, dad, Landon, and Benton! We are doing well down here in Honduras, and don’t worry I am keeping Nolan in check😊 We are happy to hear that the Vikings are making some good decisions, looking forward to the next Superbowl! Nolan says you better have the Cruise with a full tank of gas, and Landon should not be a loud in his bedroom (plus Ben). Also, might as well do a oil change in the Honda (thanks dad). Nick, if you’re reading the blog…I miss you and can’t wait to see you very soon. Nolan and I can’t wait to tell you everything about this mission trip! - Love, Aubree and Nolan

Hey Mom, its kale your son if you forgot about me already, I’m doing good and staying healthy. Shout out to 5th period the church Aden I hope you have checked the goats at least once. If you haven’t here is your reminder. Also, I hope you aren’t bugging Parissa to much on my phone. And please remember that on Friday when you pick me up. Jake its going to be hard to give you the ball next year if you still aren’t out for track. Zac or peanut butter boy I hope you are carrying the track team like a Gehlen great I expect to hear big things when I get back. B Web we need your roping skills down here to get all of the wild horses. And hope you knee is doing better. And all you from 5th period and my mom love all of you. Sincerely, Kale


Enjoy the photos!  Some would not turn for us so apologies for the neck craning!























7 comments:

  1. Hope everyone is well. So proud of this group! The impact you are having in this world is amazing. Aspen, Very proud of you and can't wait to hear the stories. Bring some of that warm weather home with you. Also Austin, Hanna Beth and Elliott will be here when you get home.. And Cybill and KJ say hi and they love you! We all love and miss you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Haley. Been following along every day. Looks like you all are having a great time and working hard to help. So proud of you and all the others who've decided to give of themselves to make the lives of others better. I love you, miss you, and can't wait to see you Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joci! You have to pet a dog with a stick but you get to hold a bunny?πŸ˜‚ Honestly, as soon as we saw Fr. holding a bunny in day one, we knew you would do anything to hold it! Did you name it?? Dad is so excited about all the new skills you are picking up on this trip... He said they will come in great use this summer! I'm jealous of the warm weather you are experiencing... It's been very chilly here! Keep being a cause of joy to others! We miss you 'Bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys, hope you guys are having fun and enjoying it all. Miss my poker buddies, can't wait until you guys get back.
    Lynsey - Can't wait for you to get back, hope you are having fun and making new friends. Love you bea.
    P.S. Dawson sorry to tell you this buts according to The Ethan Neubel we are supposed to get 1 foot of snow this weekend.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alyson, It is great to see all of the work that you are completing in Honduras and I cannot wait to hear the stories when you get home. Auggie is behaving but every night he stands at your door waiting to go in for bed. And don't worry Duke is still watching out the window for you as well. Duke and Auggie will be excited to see as well. In your packing for the weekend for your senior trip I will add your winter coat as it is going to be cold going to Minneapolis on Saturday. Enjoy you last few days and see you on Friday! Love, Mom, Dad, Miranda, Brennen, Duke and Auggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Missioners,
    Love to see the comments from the kiddos and adults. Glad your enjoying your time there in Honduras. im sure not everyday was easy but your making everyday count! Keep up the amazing work your doing. Soak up every minute of the last few day's you have left. It's a amazing experience for all. Proud of this group your making a huge impact on the lives there in Honduras.

    3 more sleeps before you come back to Iowa. It will be a total different temperature change from the day you left.

    We've been enjoying seeing the pictures of all your hard work. The smiles say it all!!

    Haley we miss you and love you. Can't wait until Friday!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are really making progress on the houses. I love the window that can open and close. The picture of your group walking down between the houses really showed what it's like. It is sad to see how different it is from here.

    Ellen, it was great to read a note from you! Dad said that is good to hear your skills have improved! Your teachers must have a lot of patience there.
    It was so good to read the notes from all of you. Looks like your Aunt Jeanne is doing well too.
    Make the most of your last few days. Looking forward to seeing you and hearing all about it. Love from Mom

    ReplyDelete