2023 Team

2023 Team
The 2023 Team

Monday, March 21, 2022

Stars in Honduras

 Today started with an early wake up, a delicious breakfast, and everyone hitting the ground running.  We split up and sent a group to the worksite where over ¾ of the painting was completed.  The team started and finished the roofing under the expertise of Juan.  It was a long day for the house crews but they enjoyed a nice siesta midday. 

The others started the process of delivering gift bags to families. Missioners headed out in small groups to visit the homes of families that were receiving the gift bags.  Fr Travis accompanied them, performing a house blessing for each of the families.  Our groups had a great afternoon.  There were able to visit and even make tortillas with the families. All talked of how much they enjoyed these visits.  The families were so grateful for the small gifts we gave; the Honduran people are truly wonderful! They took turns delivering bags and in their downtime, they built the remaining beds.

We returned to the school for supper and junta.  The most exciting part of the day was our very own celebrity, Fr. Travis.  Reporters from the Honduran Catholic Media came to the compound for an interview with Father.  A few students even joined in on the interviews.

As the blog is being posted, all we hear are barking dogs (and the occasional snore) from our very tired mission team.  We are grateful for another successful day and are reminded again of our blessings!

Please see below for comments posted to family and friends this evening.

*********************************

Dylan L – Hola Espanol 4 !! Tenemos aprendemos muchos espanol. It’s been amazing actually speaking the language on the daily. We are having lots of fun and I’m making a lot of Honduran friends. I miss you guys plus family and friends see you soon! (Thank you Pablo, Ludo, and Yahir)

Kadden and Logan- Hey family and friends love and miss you guys having a blast hope to see you soon.  Hope Iowa isn’t boring without us;)

Kenzie- Hey mom, when you come and pick me up bring iced water in my pink hydro. Jordan I hope your dog isn’t missing me too much lol…Love and miss you guys so much, k byeeeee!!

The Madison Marie Mousel – Hello mother, I am alive. The food isn’t that bad…it is settling with me much better than everyone else. I haven’t seen many cats! I thought my no washing hair self would thrive here…SIKE. I am sure you have been busy getting my bedroom ready for my arrival back home! Tell all my loved ones I am doing well and that I have a surprise for all of them!! See you in 4 days!!

Ryan Livermore- Hey everyone all is well here, and I am having a blast here. I miss you family, and I miss not getting burnt every time I step outside. I have seen a lot of el diablos in the streets here. Calc class make sure to not work too hard without us. The food down here is amazing, but I still miss your baking mom. Also mom could you bring me a chicken alfredo pizza from Jerrys. Adios amigos.

Emma Bogen- Hola mi familia. I am having the best time ever! I am loving meeting new friends and spending a lot of time with them. Dad, you would be proud -I used a hammer and power tool for the first time ever! See you soon!!

Virginia Freking- Howdy Mother, the food is good down here but I do miss your steak tacos. Don’t forget to bring my pink pillow when you pick me up. Friends, if you are reading this I hope you are doing okay without me! Bout to go have a Tegucigalpa Catholic Honduras TV Show interview…after Brynn gets the paint off my face from painting earlier lol. Go watch my debut tomorrow at 8 on Youtube!!! Cya soon!!!!!!!

Brynn Wendt-  Hi viewers, especially third period religion. I hope you guys aren’t missing me too much. Hello mom and Knoxy bear, I miss you guys so much, oh and hi Cooper.

Olivia Bunkers- Hola familia y amigas. Ok I’m done with that, anyways miss you all, but mom and dad please bring me a meat lovers Jerry’s pizza when you pick me up! I would be very, very happy if you did that. Love you bye

Trevor Morris- Hi everyone I’m doing good and having fun. The food here is mostly ok. I’ve tried some things but not much. It is fun playing with all the kids and getting to experience this with dad. I love and miss you all especially Hudson. See you all soon

Maci Gravenish- Hi Family and Hannah. I love and miss you all very much. Mom, please wash my sheets and have my bed made when I get home. See you soon! XOXO

Joe Morris- Hi to all my family back home. This trip has been a great experience with my son Trevor and myself. It’s been very busy as we have all three houses about completed. The food has been ok, but I can say I’ve tried about everything. I miss you all and love and miss you all very much. See all in four days.

Fr. Crotty- Hola todos amigos de Le Mars! Greetings from Honduras, I am loving my experience with our students, chaperones, and the people of Nueva Capital. My highlight so far has been celebrating Mass in the Basilica of Our Lady of Suyapa, the patroness of Honduras and then being interviewed by their national Catholic Media outlet! Adios!

Mel Lehmann-Hola to Drew, Dane, and Kyson!  Dylan and I miss and love you 3 so much!  We are having the most amazing experience here in Honduras.  It is really sad to see the poverty and hungry in the village.  The kids are so loving and happy to have Americans helping them.  Mark, I heard the Hawkeyes lost, there goes my bracketL  Hopefully, SDSU is still winning.  Give the kids a big squeeze.  A big shout out to the BEST 6th grade class. I miss you all so much and can’t wait to tell you all about our trip.  Mom, dad, Andy, Sis, & Jo, I lit a candle for all of you at Church on Sunday.  Happy Belated Birthday Jo, can’t wait to celebrate when we get home.  Keep sending prayers if you can.

Evan Steeg- Hey mom it’s pretty cool down here. Mom can you get me a Krispy Kreme donut when you pick me up, and can you get a small chicken bacon ranch pizza from Jerry’s and put it in the fridge for when I get home. Love you all. I’ll tell y’all about it when I get back.

Anne Oloff- Hola familia! Missing you all so much but loving our time here!  I am learning a lot, which is good since I need lots of notes for next year! Co and Land, hope school is going well!  Landon, I’m gonna need a pizza when I get home, make me a good one!  Dylan, hope bball games are going well- you had better be in the championship!  Trev, hope you got to do your cross country flight today!  Ryan, I’m sure you are tired of cooking…be there soon!  Hi to all other family and friends checking in, can’t wait to share stories and pics. Love to all!

 













































8 comments:

  1. Hi Trevor, I am glad you are trying some different food there and having fun with the kids! When you get back we will definitely make sure to go to Beer City for the chicken alfredo pizza that you love. Bob and I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, must be something in the air in Honduras for Jordyn to not be injured yet! I love seeing all the pictures, I miss it so much! Can’t wait to hear all about it when you come home J! <3 lexi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to see the positive injury report! I hope that continues for the rest of the trip! Maybe we need to trade in the sports for manual labor (hopefully Dad doesn't read this!!). Lexi and I had Dad's pickup on Sunday so he took your car to softball. There were some excited girls, thinking you were back! One of them tried to talk your Dad into letting them come and get you at the airport! So, they will be ready to see you on Saturday! Dad has been calving, so you will have some new calves to see. We are getting rain and snow flurries today! Only 3 more sleeps. Love and miss you.
    Love seeing the pictures and reading the updates. Proud of all that everyone is doing there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing all the pics and hearing from all of you. It is so cool to see Leo and his family! We built that house my year! What a beautiful job you are all doing and can't wait to hear all about it when you get back! As always, prayers are being sent your way!
    Love,
    Isabelle Schmit

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a wonderful trip so far, we miss all of you in class. 3rd hour isn't the same without you Brynn! 6th hour is too quiet without you guys! Can't wait to hear all about it in person next week. Take care and God Bless! Mrs. Kellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading the blog everyday :) It is amazing to see all the wonderful work happening, and WOW the team is moving fast! I also love seeing the hugs and smiles on everyone's faces. I know the work all of you are dong is super impactful.
    Ole, I can't wait to hear all the stories when you get back. Enjoy every minute you have left, even the food! Jerry's pizza will always be here when you get back. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trevor and Joe, I love to see all the progress you are all continuing to make! so proud of all of you! Trevor what would you like me to bring for food Friday night when I pick you guys up? I love and miss you both so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Maci - I am sure we can make sure your bed is washed and ready for you when you get home! 😜 It warms my heart to see such a big smile on your face! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete